I chose to read the story, Different Attitudes to Using Pencils, written by Qing Ji. The first thing I noticed while reading was that it seemed unfocused and rushed. As the author, who speaks English as a second language, continues through her story, near the end she rushes as she relates why she is talking about pencils and pens, and how it can symbolize different cultures between America and China.
Overall, I believe this is a very interesting topic, especially when she mentions, “I can write more freely with a pencil and sketch paper; however, with a pen I am forced to write things carefully and try my best to organize everything before I write. It’s hard to tell which one is better” (Ji 132). That is a question in itself that I find interesting because it is as if the Chinese are trying to teach their adolescence that you only have one shot to try your best, while in America, you are almost always given second chances. It is interesting how cultures are different by the simplest of things.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment